Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Support Group

Inside of that familiar old theatre of mine, I found myself along with the entire cast (minus one girl who has yet to return from boarding school, I know right??) fanning myself with my script and rolling up my sleeves while avoiding the angry line of ants that trailed right around my chair. It may have been a step up from a waiting room but it was only that- a step.

Let me take this moment to do a little ranting. Yes, I agree that it's quite early to rant. I mean, it was only the second practice and I'm not one to complain. At least not out loud. But, I feel you must be familiar with a certain term before continuing to read this blog.

Theatre Snob- a member of the cast or crew that believes he or she is higher in importance than you. Known for their snide remarks, show-off tendencies, and ability to piss you and the rest of the cast off. See also Diva and Power Tripping Stage Manager.

Well with that in mind, understand that there will be more tales of these snobs to come. They don't stay dormant for long. Specifics to come.

We sat in a semi-circle around the piano last night in our respective groups- sopranos, altos, tenors, and bases. I am one of three altos. (I'm more mezzo but whatever!). We covered Rent, Support Group, Will I, La Vie Boheme, and Season of Love.

There was this one moment when we were practicing the "ooh" part that back up Whitney, our Joanne and the soloist in Seasons of Love, when all three of the parts just clicked in perfect alignment. It was so professional sounding as we all swelled and sang with the same emotion. We smiled at one another. When we were done, our vocal director said, "Now that's some sexy shit."

Every play is in the cheesiest and most dramatic sense, a family. But RENT is going to be so much more than that. Because we all believe in the voice of the show and all genuinely want to be there, I think we're going to be that bitchy, opinionated family that nitpicks and nags because we care too damn much. We're going to want to kill each other. We're going to fight. We're going to have to act our asses off. But once we're on that stage, all of that doesn't mean a thing anymore. In the end, we're going to have something amazing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment