Wednesday, May 25, 2011

La Vie Boheme

Gathered around an IHOP table talking about inappropriate things that even Jonathan Larson would have deemed too risque- anal sex (the gay boys got that one covered), dildos, and threesomes, along with a rather comical demonstration of the inside of an orgasm (empty cup + creamer, you can imagine)- I had the distinct desire to slap my hands on the table, snap, and break out into "La Vie Boheme" with Kaleb (our Angel) who sat across from me.

Most of us were there, apart from Larry (Mark) and his boyfriend Josh (Ensemble), and also Graham (Benny), and I felt like everybody was really getting along well. I found a new love in Chris and Kaleb (Roger and Angel). I love them as a couple. And of course my best gay boy- Spencer (Ensemble). He's a fierce, precious guy who shares my love of Lady Gaga (we were belting Americano at the table) and a talent for costumes and makeup. We were in Cats together last summer and now we're together again in a much more controversial, city-stomping arena.

Anyway, despite the little idyllic, very bohemian night we shared together, the ride back to the theatre made it very clear that already, only three practices in, there was a distinct separation in the cast and an underlying drama that I didn't really see. Josh, who is apparently bitter over not getting Angel (recall Theatre Snob), is completely isolating himself from the rest of the cast, taking Larry with him. Also, he's sitting there stewing and aiming his stupid frustration at Kaleb, who did nothing wrong. Unless you count winning a role fair and square? It's just petty stuff.

So there's this little break in the cast: Josh, Larry, and Jenny (another one, annoying right?) vs. the rest of us. I hate it. Because I think Larry is a really sweet guy with this really great talent, and it's a shame that his boyfriend is cutting him off from all of us. :( Plus I had this stupid, naive idea that maybe we'd all be united and friends and shit. Oh well, I suppose it's their loss right?

While we are still in Stage 1 of the RENT process, we're going over the music in detail. So last night, we covered nearly all of Act 1, which meant I had the pleasure of singing Out Tonight in front of all of my castmates for the first time. There was this huge surge of adrenaline that ran through my system as I stood up and belted what I will soon be singing in tight pants, with glitter doused in my hair, poised on a railing. It went really well and they all applauded me. It's only going to get better from here on out. My goal? To get someone in the audience to "woo" at me. I mean, hey, I'm hot right? (Just say yes and make me feel good).

Along with Out Tonight, I sang Light My Candle, Another Day, and I Should Tell You. When we sang Light My Candle, Duane (Vocal Director) told me and Chris, "Well, I'm glad that we don't have to ever practice that again!" There was a great chemistry to both our voices and the way we played with the song that is really going to showcase well. I've known Chris for a long time now, oddly enough since he was straight (or since he thought he was I guess?), and he tried to hit on me when we were in Les Miserables (Awkward, not really, kind of). He's improved so much since then and I honestly am so glad that he got Roger. We're going to make people cry (in the good way)!

Tonight I assume we'll be tackling Act 2, which means Without You (one of my absolute favorites) and Goodbye Love. Also, I get to nearly die. Woo hoo! I can't wait to get this thing on stage. At the same time, I don't want to rush it! I want to enjoy every moment of my life as a stripper!

0 comments:

Post a Comment